Pittsburgh Canopy Alliance Partners received $8 million in funding through the US Forest Service and the Inflation Reduction Act, for urban and community forestry projects that:
- Increase access to trees and the benefits they provide.
- Involve more community members in local planning, tree planting, and maintenance.
- Improve community and urban forest resilience to climate change and related issues.
This $8 million funded by the IRA is focused on Justice40 communities.
- The Federal Government has made it a goal that 40 percent of certain Federal investments, including many environmental-related investments, flow to disadvantaged communities that are marginalized, underserved, and overburdened by pollution.
- Learn more about the Justice40 Initiative on the White House website.
- See the map of Pittsburgh Justice40 zones here.
Additional Inflation Reduction Act funds are available for communities outside Justice40 zones via state and pass-through grants. The Pittsburgh Canopy Alliance will continue to secure funding for other partners via these avenues.